Thursday, January 3, 2013

How I Got Started

So this morning I'm heading off to babysit three adorable little girls, aged three, seven, and ten. One of their favorite things to do is play with American Girl dolls and thinking about that helped remind me of how I initially got started in crafting.

When I was a kid, my mom constantly urged me to be creative. When I was a toddler I used to climb up on our kitchen counter to reach the cabinet where our art supplies were stored, and end up naked and covered in paint. As I reached the "doll" age, my mom finally allowed me to get my first American Girl. We never could afford the expensive outfits and accessories for them, so I made my own - and thus my interest in DIY was born. I wish I had pictures of some of the cute things I made when I was little to show you guys, but unfortunately they're all long gone.

Then as for nails, I honestly can't remember ever not liking polish. When I was a freshman, though, I went through a really rough patch in my family due to my dad's health and various other issues. Out of everything, doing my nails was somehow what helped keep me calm and happy. I started my other blog in the spring of that year, and through the blogosphere I quickly moved on from simple polishing onto nail art - and that's where I have stuck ever since!

How did you all get started in your respective hobbies?

No comments:

Post a Comment